Feeling career stuck?
If you're reading this, you're likely to feel that there is more to life that what your current career is offering you.
It's often hard to articulate what it means to feel "stuck" in a career that doesn't suit anymore but one of my clients likened it to a "slowly dripping tap of dissatisfaction that grows to a point where you just have to do something about it."
Here are some of the common threads from the stories my clients tell me:
they have built successful careers yet experience Sunday night blues, every Sunday night and often those blues begin on Sunday morning;
they don't feel challenged, are often bored, feel shrunk-to-fit or feel like they are living their work life on a repeating loop;
their dissatisfaction at work has begun to seep into life outside work - to a level that is becoming more and more unacceptable;
they have begun to notice that their organisational culture jars with their natural style and feel like they are hiding their real selves at work;
they often have experienced a recent difficult event in their personal lives (e.g. personal health scare, elderly parent's illness, a redundancy or unplanned exit from their long-term company) which has triggered deep thought about their future.
- they very simply want "more" from their career...more satisfaction, more challenge and more enjoyment.
I'm Lucia Knight.
I 'm a mid-lifer who has gone through several career transformations so I know a bit about them. I have moved countries several times after leaving my childhood home in Northern Ireland. The first decade of my career was spent helping individuals to find similar jobs in different companies. The next decade was spent hunting down the perfect new board member for growing or transforming companies across South East England.
After a couple of years of feeling progressively "career stuck", my mid-life found me diving headlong into a Psychology Masters. This included researching how personality influences work and life satisfaction (some people call this "happiness") and a major research project into the future for over 50s in big corporates.
I now combine my head-hunting, management, coaching and psychology experience to guide mid-lifers through career transformations.
Outside of work, my husband and I have two feisty (Celtic genes) and sensitive daughters who keep us busy. I adore the Desert Island Discs radio show and am working my way through every episode ever recorded since 1942.
To make me feel alive, once a year I help organise a group challenge which is always way beyond my physical capability. I'm usually at the back of the pack during these 12 hour challenges...until I spy the celebration drinks lined up at the bar! I'm also a volunteer for Cruse Bereavement Care.
What to expect
Based upon the latest psychology research on work happiness, I have designed a step-by-step method to help professionals in their 40s and 50s to unlock their very own formula to design a career that fits with their personalities, their talents, their goals and their lifestyle.
Depending which programme you choose, after working with me you will more easily:
- Design a real career plan B and have on-going support to make it happen.
- Understand your "SuperPowers" - the unique combination of very specific skills that are essential in the design of your Plan B to allow you to fell satisfied and fulfilled.
- Be able to evaluate which environments allow you to perform at your best and understand why others make it very difficult for you to thrive.
- Know which of your very specific talents have allowed you to be successful to date and why a different combination of those talents will offer you a more enjoyable work future.
- Confidence that you have fully evaluated ideas and opportunities that may have been whizzing around in your head for a while and make a plan to either implement them or discard them.
- Understand specifically what has stopped you so far, explore these hindrances and then design a way to minimise their impact whilst still affording you the opportunity to do fulfilling work
- Explore a variety of ideas to get paid to do more satisfying, more fulfilling work, more of the time.
- Match your talents and lifestyle goals to a clear plan and feel supported through those first few months of exploration.
- Design a work life that can actually bring joy to your life rather than drain the life out of your life.