Feeling career stuck?
If you are reading this, you are likely to feel that there is more to life that what your current career is offering you.
It's often hard to articulate what it means to feel "career stuck" but one of my clients likened it to a slowly dripping tap of dissatisfaction and that description really resonated with me and quite a few of my clients.
Here are some of the common threads from the stories my clients tell me:
they have built successful careers yet experience Sunday night blues, every Sunday night and often those blues begin on Sunday morning;
they don't feel challenged, are often bored, feel shrunk-to-fit or feel like they are living their work life on a repeating loop;
their dissatisfaction at work has begun to seep into life outside work - to a level that is becoming more and more unacceptable;
they have begun to notice that their organisational culture jars with their natural style and feel like they are hiding their real selves at work;
they often have experienced a recent difficult event in their personal lives (e.g. personal health scare, elderly parent's illness, a redundancy or unplanned exit from their long-term company) which has triggered deep thought about their future.
- they very simply want more from their career...more satisfaction, more challenge and more enjoyment.
I am Lucia Knight.
I am a mid-lifer who has gone through several career transformations so I know a bit about them. I have moved countries several times after leaving my childhood home in Northern Ireland. The first decade of my career was spent helping individuals to find similar jobs in different companies. The next decade was spent hunting down the perfect new board member for growing or transforming companies across South East England.
After a couple of years of feeling progressively "career stuck", my mid-life found me diving headlong into a Psychology Masters. This included researching how personality influences work and life satisfaction (some people call this "happiness") and a major research project into the future for over 50s in big corporates.
I now combine my head-hunting, management, coaching and psychology experience to guide mid-lifers through career transformations.
Outside of work, my husband and I have two feisty (Celtic genes) and sensitive daughters who keep us busy. I adore the Desert Island Discs radio show and am working my way through every episode ever recorded since 1942.
To make me feel alive, once a year I help organise a group challenge which is always way beyond my physical capability. I'm usually at the back of the pack during these 12 hour challenges...until I spy the celebration drinks lined up at the bar! I'm also a volunteer for Cruse Bereavement Care.
What to expect
Based upon the latest psychology research on work happiness, I have designed a step-by-step method to help professionals in their 40s and 50s to unlock their very own formula to design a career that fits with their personalities, their talents, their goals and their lifestyle.
After working with me you will more easily:
· Articulate what it is that you want, very specifically, in your life and career in the future.
· Say "No" to the elements of your career that don't fit in with your chosen future.
· Understand many of your "Super Powers".
· Evaluate which environments you thrive within, and which you need to avoid.
· Understand which of your talents have made you successful to date and which you can amplify to take you forward.
· Understand what's stopping you from doing more fulfilling work
· Explore a variety of ideas to get paid to do more satisfying, more fulfilling work, more of the time.
· Match your direction to a clear plan and feel supported through those first few months of exploration.
· Design a work life that can actually bring joy to your life rather than drain the life out of your life.